Thursday, June 9, 2011

Life after College Blog Saga: Life without Cable?! (Technology Outlook)

It's pretty close to the end of my AmeriCorps Service and things are starting to wrap up at the office. The students are gone and I am stuck doing administrative work. This has given me a lot of time to reflect how things went at work. At the same time, the aleviated stress gives me the opportunity to look at my life after UW-Sheboygan.

It will be close to a month and a half before I move into my apartment and attend Marquette for Graduate School. For those of you who know me, I'm a guy who wants to get their hands on the latest technology (of course, when I can actually afford it). After researching what to budget for, I started realizing the next wave of technology coming to a living room near you.

How did I realize this? (Don't worry, I won't quote the bible on the prophecy of the cable rapture.) This became apparent when I started researching cable/internet providers. I started asking the question, do I really want to pay $50 dollars a month for watching television. Part of that could go toward my groceries or having a "guys night out".

Previously, I tried out Netflix for the free trial and didn't like it. I was hoping for movies and tv shows I liked being streamed via internet. Unfortunately, most movies I liked, I needed to get it mailed. They also did not have many television shows I wanted to watch. I am currently trying Hulu Plus, which has pretty good variety of content.

I have been noticing reviews on Hulu Plus about how they are annoyed with the ads that run in between the content. I can understand if they use it as a supplement to cable. However, there is a difference looking at Hulu as a supplement versus an alternative. Since I see Hulu as an alternative, I will be paying $7.99 vs. $50.00 with the same if not less commercial interuptions. Even though I like watching news channels (CNN, MSNBC etc.), I can easily access their content on their websites.

Hopefully this blog will help out some of you who are moving after college to a new job. If you are a huge cheapskate, you can watch most of the primetime content online. I was able to watch the whole season of Kitchen Nightmares at fox.com for free. I will also mention that I will probably get an antenna for my apartment to get news after I am done with work and school.

The Situationalist,
Mike

No comments:

Post a Comment